Maoists kill 1, injure 22 in CPI(M) stronghold in W Midnapore
Kolkata: A 50-strong group of Maoists
struck at a CPI(M) stronghold in West Midnapore district and
opened fire, killing a local leader and leaving 22 others
The incident came hours before an Election Commission
team comprising police officers was to visit the district to
assess the law and order in the state before Assembly polls.
Police sources said today that a group of Maoists
encircled Chapardah village in Belatikri, the Marxist
stronghold in Lalgarh police station area, and shot dead
CPI(M) local leader Khagen Adhikary, left several injured
besides assaulting residents last night.
Adhikary`s body bearing bullet wounds was found this
morning in a canal, the sources said.
Twenty-two injured villagers were sent to the Lalgarh
health centre, the sources said.
"Last night Maoists gheraoed the village, killed
Khagen and beat up all residents and did not spare women and
children," Lalgarh CPI(M) leader Chandi Karan said.
When contacted, the two-member EC team touring the
district declined comment.
"We are not supposed to comment on specific incidents.
We are looking into everything," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt