Maoists kill CPI-M leader in Bengal
Kolkata: A Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district was shot dead by Maoists on Sunday for acting as a police informer, police said.
"We were informed that a bullet-ridden body was lying near a forest in Beliabera village of Jhargram sub-division," Superintendent of Jhargram Police district Praveen Tripathi told a news agency over phone.
"The body was recovered and identified as that of Rameshwar Bag. He was a local CPI-M leader," he added.
Maoist posters, claiming responsibility for the crime, were recovered from the spot. They read that Bag was given `capital punishment` for acting as police informer, Tripathi said.
The victim`s family members alleged that a group of 8-10 armed Maoist cadres raided their house Saturday night and dragged him out. Bag was later shot dead a few metres away from his house.
Bag was an active CPI-M leader in the area but had been refraining from party activities fearing attacks by the rebels, police said.
The Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened