Maoists kill seven villagers in West Bengal
Kolkata: Seven Forward Bloc members, including a woman leader, were shot dead by suspected Maoist guerrillas in West Bengal`s Purulia district early Friday, police said.
"They were shot dead in Jhalda-I block area near the Ayodhya Hills. State police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel have rushed to the area," Purulia Police Superintendent Sunil Chowdhury told over the phone.
"The modus operandi suggests that the Maoists are responsible for the crime. We have initiated an investigation into the matter," Chowdhury added.
Forward Bloc Purulia MP Narahari Mahato said: "A group of 30-40 armed ultra left rebels attacked the houses of our party leaders and workers in Bagbandi village of Jhalda block late Thursday and dragged them out."
"They gunned down seven of them in a nearby forested area between Bagbandi and Begunkhodar early today (Friday)," Mahato added.
"Among the seven victims, Chapala Gorai was the head of Dorda rural body and Tapan Singh Sardar was a leader of Jhalda area. The others were Kinkar Singh, Rajesh Singh and Gopeswar Mahato, Gobardhan Singh and Amu Singh Murmu," the MP said.
He alleged that more than 12 party supporters and leaders have been killed in the district by the Maoists since October. Three party activists, including a leader, were shot dead by the guerrillas in Bagmundi area Oct 4.
The party`s state committee member Naren Chatterjee said: "Forward Bloc will observe Black Day across the state to protest the killing of their party workers while the Left Front has called a 24-hour shutdown in Purulia district Saturday."
"I spoke with the district administration regarding the security of our party workers and leaders," Chatterjee said.
Purulia is one of the three western districts of the state where Maoists are active - the other two being West Midnapore and Bankura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo