Maoists offer money for arms in West Bengal
Lalgarh: Maoists on Sunday offered money for handing over weapons allegedly being used by CPI(M) cadres in the Naxal-hit areas, 12 days after the West Bengal government
announced a surrender and rehabilitation package for the rebels.
"Those handing over SLRs or AK 47 rifles would be paid Rs one lakh and Rs 70,000 each would be paid for a carbine, automatic revolver and pistol, while country-made guns would fetch Rs 8,000 and above," Maoist central committee member Akash told a news agency.
He alleged that villagers were forced to join arms training camps by CPI(M) in West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts, collectively known as `jungle mahal`.
Akash put the number of camps at a little less than 100.
He said 58 camps were being run by the Marxists in West Midnapore district, 16 in Purulia and Bankura districts combined, while 23 schools in the `jungle mahal` area were
also being used as arms training centres.
"Those deserting the camps with arms would be given cash rewards and would not be harmed by the Maoists," Akash said.
On July 28, the West Bengal government had announced a surrender-cum-rehabilitation package for Maoists.
As per the package, the government would make a fixed deposit of Rs 1.5 lakh for each surrendered Maoist for a period of three years. They would also be paid Rs 2,000 each
per month for a period of three years and be given vocational training in a trade of their choice.
"For arms surrendered by the Maoists, Rs 25,000 would be given for a machine gun, Rs 15,000 for an AK-47, Rs 10,000 for a satellite phone, Rs 3,000 each for a revolver or a
landmine and Rs 1,000 for per kg of explosives," DGP Bhupinder Singh had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8