Media misinterpreted Governor`s version: Trinamool MP
Kolkata: Days after facing flak from Governor M K Narayanan for alleged mishandling of affairs in Garden Reach which led to violence where a sub-inspector was killed, Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Ray on Sunday blamed the media for `misinterpreting` the Governor`s version.
"The Governor is an experienced person. He didn`t mean to say such things. It is created by the media. He knows very well that the state cabinet is appointed by the Chief Minister," Ray told reporters on Sunday.
Narayanan had slammed the Trinamool Congress-run government for transferring the city police commissioner after the February 12 Garden Reach violence and raised questions on whether the regime was capable of running the government.
"We have an elected government and it is elected with a massive mandate. I presume they should answer whether they are capable of running a government or not. The Governor can`t answer that, he can only act," Narayanan had said.
His statement had drawn sharp reaction from the Trinamool leadership with party MP Sultan Ahmed asking the Governor to stop "behaving like an IPS officer."
Following criticism by the Governor and political circles, the Garden Reach case was taken away from Kolkata police and handed over to the CID, an unprecedented move in recent times.
However, Narayanan today welcomed the fact that an investigation was going on.
"The investigation is going on. It is always good," he said.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress leaders, including ministers Firhad Hakim and Madan Mitra, today visited a crematorium to pay their respects to deceased party activist Avijit Sil.
"He (Avijit) was our party activist. So we have come to pay our respects. He was also a resident of my constituency," senior Trinamool leader and MP Subrata Bakshi told reporters.
Avijit, son of TMC leader Ranjit Sil, was injured in an explosion while allegedly making crude bombs, a night before violence erupted near Hari Mohan Ghosh College in Garden Reach area where the police officer was killed. He died of his injuries yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read