Media misinterpreted Governor`s version: Trinamool MP
Kolkata: Days after facing flak from Governor M K Narayanan for alleged mishandling of affairs in Garden Reach which led to violence where a sub-inspector was killed, Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Ray on Sunday blamed the media for `misinterpreting` the Governor`s version.
"The Governor is an experienced person. He didn`t mean to say such things. It is created by the media. He knows very well that the state cabinet is appointed by the Chief Minister," Ray told reporters on Sunday.
Narayanan had slammed the Trinamool Congress-run government for transferring the city police commissioner after the February 12 Garden Reach violence and raised questions on whether the regime was capable of running the government.
"We have an elected government and it is elected with a massive mandate. I presume they should answer whether they are capable of running a government or not. The Governor can`t answer that, he can only act," Narayanan had said.
His statement had drawn sharp reaction from the Trinamool leadership with party MP Sultan Ahmed asking the Governor to stop "behaving like an IPS officer."
Following criticism by the Governor and political circles, the Garden Reach case was taken away from Kolkata police and handed over to the CID, an unprecedented move in recent times.
However, Narayanan today welcomed the fact that an investigation was going on.
"The investigation is going on. It is always good," he said.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress leaders, including ministers Firhad Hakim and Madan Mitra, today visited a crematorium to pay their respects to deceased party activist Avijit Sil.
"He (Avijit) was our party activist. So we have come to pay our respects. He was also a resident of my constituency," senior Trinamool leader and MP Subrata Bakshi told reporters.
Avijit, son of TMC leader Ranjit Sil, was injured in an explosion while allegedly making crude bombs, a night before violence erupted near Hari Mohan Ghosh College in Garden Reach area where the police officer was killed. He died of his injuries yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday