Media misinterpreted Governor`s version: Trinamool MP
Kolkata: Days after facing flak from Governor M K Narayanan for alleged mishandling of affairs in Garden Reach which led to violence where a sub-inspector was killed, Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Ray on Sunday blamed the media for `misinterpreting` the Governor`s version.
"The Governor is an experienced person. He didn`t mean to say such things. It is created by the media. He knows very well that the state cabinet is appointed by the Chief Minister," Ray told reporters on Sunday.
Narayanan had slammed the Trinamool Congress-run government for transferring the city police commissioner after the February 12 Garden Reach violence and raised questions on whether the regime was capable of running the government.
"We have an elected government and it is elected with a massive mandate. I presume they should answer whether they are capable of running a government or not. The Governor can`t answer that, he can only act," Narayanan had said.
His statement had drawn sharp reaction from the Trinamool leadership with party MP Sultan Ahmed asking the Governor to stop "behaving like an IPS officer."
Following criticism by the Governor and political circles, the Garden Reach case was taken away from Kolkata police and handed over to the CID, an unprecedented move in recent times.
However, Narayanan today welcomed the fact that an investigation was going on.
"The investigation is going on. It is always good," he said.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress leaders, including ministers Firhad Hakim and Madan Mitra, today visited a crematorium to pay their respects to deceased party activist Avijit Sil.
"He (Avijit) was our party activist. So we have come to pay our respects. He was also a resident of my constituency," senior Trinamool leader and MP Subrata Bakshi told reporters.
Avijit, son of TMC leader Ranjit Sil, was injured in an explosion while allegedly making crude bombs, a night before violence erupted near Hari Mohan Ghosh College in Garden Reach area where the police officer was killed. He died of his injuries yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video