Media unnecessarily hyping Mamata`s remark: Trinamool Congress
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress on Friday accused the media of unnecessarily hyping the incident of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee publicly abusing her security guards at the book fair here.
"Some motivated sections of the media have made a mountain of a molehill. This issue should not be the topic of discussion...Whatever happened is a small thing," Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Roy said.
"Lakhs of such things are said by a CM. I recall that when Jyoti Basu was the chief minister he had called the opposition scoundrels," he said on the sidelines of an Indian Chamber of Commerce event here.
On February 5, Banerjee had lost her cool and screamed in public at her security guards for delay in arrival of her car at the gate of the Kolkata Book Fair site.
Mamata, in full public view had said guards "should be whipped" for making her wait for her car.
Roy, who is part of the chief minister`s advisory council for industry and IT, said by belittling the chief minister, the media was belittling the state.
Rights body, Association of Protection of Democratic Rights has filed a complaint against Banerjee in the state Human Rights Commission, describing her remarks as a gross violation of human rights.
Asked to comment on former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s questioning the honesty of his successor, Roy also blamed it on the media.
"Some media houses are trying to promote him (Bhattacharjee) now. Mamata Banerjee is known for her honesty not only in Bengal but whole India. They can`t question her honesty," he said.
The Lok Sabha MP said, "Let Buddhadeb win at least one election and then ask questions."
Bhattacharjee had told a Bengali TV news channel in an interview on Tuesday that he "don`t agree with the perception that she (Banerjee) is honest."
Trinamool Congress had yesterday slapped a legal notice and given Bhattacharjee a 48-hour deadline to apologise or face legal action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Massive relief for Central government employees; 7th Pay Commission notification issued
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many Christians, Hindus to Islam?
- REVEALED: How Virat Kohli motivated team on the field - Here's what stump mic picked up
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside
- Chinese demolitions at Buddhist institute draw fire