Mentally ill women sexually abused, tortured in WB
Kolkata: In yet another shocking case that puts a serious question mark on the state of our society, reports claimed on Friday that mentally ill women lodged at a rehabilitation centre in West Bengal were subjected to sexual abuse.
The caretaker of the rehab centre allowed in outsiders in evenings, who then sexually abused the inmates. The centre, located in Dhonekhali in Hooghly district, is home to around 50 mentally ill women.
The horrific case of cruelty came to light after the body of Guria, a 30-year-old woman inmate of the mental asylum, was found buried in the backyard.
An inmate informed an NGO about Guria’s death, which then passed on the information to a TV news channel.
As per reports, Guria was sexually assaulted and beaten to death by Shyamal Ghosh, a resident of Uttarpara village near Khajurdaho, who allegedly harassed women inmates. He is still absconding. Ghosh is considered to be a close confidant of Uday Chand Kumar, secretary of the rehabilitation centre.
Inmates of the state-run asylum have alleged that Shyamal Ghosh, the prime accused, often used to torture them and claimed that he had severely thrashed Guria a few days before her disappearance.
Uday Chand is under police custody; yesterday, he was remanded to 10 days police custody by a local court. Police have also arrested cook Najiya Khatun and gateman Mathur Patra of the centre.
Two others, Tarumal Das and Prafulla Mallick, who buried the body of the 32-year-old destitute dumb woman, Guria, after her death on July 01, are also under police arrest.
The mental asylum is run by a Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) and funded by the central government.
The West Bengal government yesterday cancelled the license of the rehabilitation centre and ordered that all inmates be shifted to other homes with immediate effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says