Minister slams SEC for listing poll booths as per sensitivity
Kolkata: West Bengal Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee on Wednesday questioned the authority the State Election Commission on preparing a list of booths for panchayat elections based on their relative sensitivity and said the government would draw a fresh list.
The SEC had announced that it was preparing a list of polling booths according to the nature of their sensitivity and categorising them as general, sensitive, and hypersensitive.
"What authority the SEC enjoys in preparing such lists when an elected government in there in the state?" Mukherjee wanted to know.
Taking exception to the reported preparation of such a list by the SEC, the minister said, "I have come to know that the SEC has made such lists on the basis of deliberation at a meeting with superintendents of police and district magistrates on March 16, and the lists were faulty."
Before undertaking such a move, the SEC should have consulted the state government, he said adding that the government would prepare a fresh list of booths shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves