Minister slams SEC for listing poll booths as per sensitivity
Kolkata: West Bengal Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee on Wednesday questioned the authority the State Election Commission on preparing a list of booths for panchayat elections based on their relative sensitivity and said the government would draw a fresh list.
The SEC had announced that it was preparing a list of polling booths according to the nature of their sensitivity and categorising them as general, sensitive, and hypersensitive.
"What authority the SEC enjoys in preparing such lists when an elected government in there in the state?" Mukherjee wanted to know.
Taking exception to the reported preparation of such a list by the SEC, the minister said, "I have come to know that the SEC has made such lists on the basis of deliberation at a meeting with superintendents of police and district magistrates on March 16, and the lists were faulty."
Before undertaking such a move, the SEC should have consulted the state government, he said adding that the government would prepare a fresh list of booths shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city