Minorities to get reservation in higher education in WB
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday announced reservation in higher education in the state for minorities while attending Eid prayers in the city`s Red Road.
"We want youths and children from minority communities to advance in studies and become doctors, engineers and professionals in different other fields," Banerjee said, stating that reservation of seats would be introduced in higher education from 2014 educational curriculum.
She also announced that other avenues of business would also be made available to the minorities including opening of shops and other such small scale enterprises in the districts.
The chief minister attended the largest Eid prayer gathering on Red Road in the heart of the metropolis. Prayers were held at other places too including at Nakhoda Masjid, the largest mosque in the city.
Eid-ul Fitr marks the culmination of month-long fasting and prayer during the holy month of Ramzan.
People of all hues, from little children to aged persons adorned in new dresses, attended the Eid prayers followed by ritual hugs.
Eid was celebrated with fervour in other parts of the state also.
In Darjeeling Hills, which has been affected by an indefinite bandh called by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha demanding a separate state, the celebrations remained subdued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%
- West Indies vs India: Statistical highlights — Records for Saha, pace pair Shami and Yadav
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read
- Govt begins search for Bankruptcy Board chief