Minor`s body found hanging from tree in West Bengal
Kolkata: In a horrific repeat of the Badaun rape-and-murder case in Uttar Pradesh, the body of a seven-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree at Rajnagar village in West Bengal`s East Midnapore district Thursday.
District superintendent of police Sukesh Jain said the girl was missing since Wednesday evening. Her father lodged a police complaint Thursday against three persons from the village at Nandakumar police station. However, before police could apprehend the accused, villagers had severely beaten them up and set their houses afire. While one of the three died, the other two were rescued by the police and admitted in a local hospital.
The body of the girl, found hanging from a neem tree, has been sent for post mortem. The body had been brought down by the villagers before police arrived in the village, Jain said.
A family member of the victim said she had gone to buy some puffed rice Wednesday evening and was missing since then.
"She was sexually assaulted and killed. When we brought down the body, blood was oozing out," said a villager.
The Bengal incident happened about two months after two teenaged cousins were gang-raped and hanged from a tree in Katra Sadatganj village of Badaun district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House