Missing Bengal mountaineer`s kin unhappy with rescue efforts
Kolkata: Missing mountaineer Chhanda Gayen`s family Friday requested West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to send another rescue team to expedite the search for the mountaineer, citing inefficiency of the first team that was dispatched.
Gayen, the second woman from West Bengal to scale Mount Everest, has been missing since Tuesday after she was caught in an avalanche on the Kanchenjunga peak.
"We have spoken to Didi (Banerjee) and have requested her to move a different team to expedite the rescue. She assured us that the state government is trying everything," Gayen`s mother told reporters here.
Banerjee called up the family on Friday.
Gayen`s mother said the family does not have faith in the three-member rescue team that was sent earlier.
"They are not so brave...the rescue process is delayed. We do not have faith in the team. We want a different team. They keep on saying that the weather is bad but we can see it is not," she said.
State`s Youth Welfare Minister Arup Biswas on Wednesday said the team left for Nepal to assist the rescue operation.
Gayen`s family also appealed to the state government to provide adequate funds to the sherpas involved in the search operation.
Gayen and two of her sherpas were caught in an avalanche while scaling the western side of Kanchenjunga, the third highest peak in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India