Mob beats up 8 forest staff after jumbo kills villager
Siliguri: Incensed over the death of a
villager in an elephant attack, a mob beat up forest
department employees injuring eight and set on fire some
forest quarters at Lalitabari in Jalpaiguri district.
Divisional Forest Officer, Baikanthapur, K Balamarugan
told PTI over phone that the mob became unruly last night
after the body of Babulal Oraon (35) was recovered from
Lalitabari jungle in the evening.
With Oraon`s body bearing trample marks of a jumbo,
the villagers turned towards the forest employees mercilessly
beating up the beat officer and others.
At least eight persons were injured, two of them
seriously. The two were later hospitalised.
The mob also set ablaze two forest quarters, totally
gutting the dwellings, Balamarugan said.
The forest department handed over Rs 25,000 to the kin
of the deceased and promised to make payment of the final
compensation at the earliest.
Stating that all forest employees were feeling
insecure since last night`s mob attack, he said such incidents
would simply create mistrust between forest department workers
and villagers as both sides needed each other`s help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day