Mob beats up 8 forest staff after jumbo kills villager
Siliguri: Incensed over the death of a
villager in an elephant attack, a mob beat up forest
department employees injuring eight and set on fire some
forest quarters at Lalitabari in Jalpaiguri district.
Divisional Forest Officer, Baikanthapur, K Balamarugan
told PTI over phone that the mob became unruly last night
after the body of Babulal Oraon (35) was recovered from
Lalitabari jungle in the evening.
With Oraon`s body bearing trample marks of a jumbo,
the villagers turned towards the forest employees mercilessly
beating up the beat officer and others.
At least eight persons were injured, two of them
seriously. The two were later hospitalised.
The mob also set ablaze two forest quarters, totally
gutting the dwellings, Balamarugan said.
The forest department handed over Rs 25,000 to the kin
of the deceased and promised to make payment of the final
compensation at the earliest.
Stating that all forest employees were feeling
insecure since last night`s mob attack, he said such incidents
would simply create mistrust between forest department workers
and villagers as both sides needed each other`s help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Punjabi films are Surveen Chawla's first love!- READ
- Rafael Nadal will travel to Rio, but injury situation still delicate: David Ferrer
- Mahasweta Devi – the gutsy social activist who took on political bigwigs for the dispossessed
- China says pressing ahead with own anti-missile system
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Kusal Mendis emulates Kumar Sangakkara, scores 150-plus runs in 2nd innings against Aussies