Modi gave "factually incorrect" data about Bengal: TMC
Kolkata: Ruling Trinamool Congress on Wednesday said BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi gave "factually incorrect" data about West Bengal during a party rally here.
"The honourable Chief Minister of Gujarat made a few statements which were factually incorrect," said a post in the party`s website.
At the rally, Modi had mentioned that only 35 percent schools in the state have electricity and that 60 percent girls` schools in the state have toilets.
"The research team, which provided him with these figures, clearly depended on an old report. According to the report of a review committee meeting held today, 98 percent schools in West Bengal have toilets while most primary, upper primary, secondary and higher secondary schools have uninterrupted power supply," the statement said.
It pointed out that West Bengal is the only state in India to have a power bank.
In the last session of West Bengal assembly, the state Power Minister Manish Gupta had informed the House that West Bengal will achieve 100 per cent rural electrification by December 2014.
"As of December 2013, West Bengal achieved 60 per cent rural electrification (up from 10 per cent during the Left Front rule)," the Trinamool Congress said.
The statement said that with a debt burden of over Rs 2 lakh crores and a yearly interest of Rs 28,000 crores, little money is available for the government to spend for public purpose.
"However, West Bengal government, under the leadership of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, managed to increase revenue collection from Rs 22,000 crore (in 2011-12) to Rs 40,000 crore (2013-14, till August), which is about 81.8 per cent," it said.
At the rally, BJP president Rajnath Singh had sympathised with Banerjee?s demand for a bailout package for the debt-ridden state saying the UPA government should have given a moratorium on loan repayment to the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31