Moral victory, says Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said it was a `moral victory` after the Supreme Court asked Tata Motors to make its stand clear on its leasehold rights on the land at Singur as it had moved its car plant out of the state.
"I am very happy. It is an important observation. We wanted this," Banerjee told reporters here.
Stating that land acquisition from farmers at Singur (for the Tata Motors Nano car plant) began from 2006, Banerjee said, "I went on a 26-day hunger-strike."
"We love both agriculture and industry. The movement of agriculturists the world over will be encouraged by this. It is a moral victory of the prolonged movement," the Chief Minister said.
The apex court also said "the land should move back to the agriculturists and we may ask the West Bengal government to file an affidavit on the issue of giving the money back to you which you had paid at the time of land acquisition. In the interests of justice, we think it will serve the purpose."
The state government had moved the Supreme Court against a Calcutta high court order which had struck down the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011 that allowed it to reclaim the 400 acres of land given to Tata Motors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'