MoS Railways Chowdhury booked for attacking DM’s house
Kolkata: The West Bengal Police on Friday filed an FIR against Union Minister of State Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury for allegedly instigating a mob to attack the residence of Murshidabad district magistrate Rajiv Kumar.
Congress workers had gone on a rampage when the officer declined to accept their memorandum on the alleged custodial death of a party worker.
The workers smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed and hurled brickbats breaking the windscreen of a vehicle as Chowdhury was seen standing on the bonnet of a jeep. While it is being alleged that he instigated the mob, he says that he was only trying to pacify the restive crowd.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharjee said District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar declined to accept the memorandum and instead asked the ADM to receive it.
Chowdhury, the Minister of State for Railways, gave a 30-minute ultimatum to the magistrate to receive the memorandum and threatened to organise a bigger agitation if he did not. Kumar finally received the memorandum.
Chowdhury claimed that there was no vandalism at the DM’s office. “I can tell you very categorically that none of our Congress workers entered the premises of the district magistrate. No kind of vandalism took place,” he said.
Today after the FIR was lodged, Chowdury said, “It is well expected that case would have been registered over me….I was trying to pacify the irate mob to prevent any untoward incident.”
“If I am implicated for trying to pacify the mob then I will happily accept it,” he said.
Trinamool Congress condemned the violence at District Magistrate’s office at Berhampore in Murshidabad district and said it was a violation of the model code of conduct.
The by-poll to Rejinagar assembly constituency in Murshidabad distirct will be held on 23 February. Trinamool Congress General Secretary Mukul Roy said his party condemns the vandalism and said the Election Commission should take note of it.
Other opposition parties have criticised Chowdhury and demanded that he be sacked form the Union Cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly