MoS Railways Chowdhury booked for attacking DM’s house
Kolkata: The West Bengal Police on Friday filed an FIR against Union Minister of State Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury for allegedly instigating a mob to attack the residence of Murshidabad district magistrate Rajiv Kumar.
Congress workers had gone on a rampage when the officer declined to accept their memorandum on the alleged custodial death of a party worker.
The workers smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed and hurled brickbats breaking the windscreen of a vehicle as Chowdhury was seen standing on the bonnet of a jeep. While it is being alleged that he instigated the mob, he says that he was only trying to pacify the restive crowd.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharjee said District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar declined to accept the memorandum and instead asked the ADM to receive it.
Chowdhury, the Minister of State for Railways, gave a 30-minute ultimatum to the magistrate to receive the memorandum and threatened to organise a bigger agitation if he did not. Kumar finally received the memorandum.
Chowdhury claimed that there was no vandalism at the DM’s office. “I can tell you very categorically that none of our Congress workers entered the premises of the district magistrate. No kind of vandalism took place,” he said.
Today after the FIR was lodged, Chowdury said, “It is well expected that case would have been registered over me….I was trying to pacify the irate mob to prevent any untoward incident.”
“If I am implicated for trying to pacify the mob then I will happily accept it,” he said.
Trinamool Congress condemned the violence at District Magistrate’s office at Berhampore in Murshidabad district and said it was a violation of the model code of conduct.
The by-poll to Rejinagar assembly constituency in Murshidabad distirct will be held on 23 February. Trinamool Congress General Secretary Mukul Roy said his party condemns the vandalism and said the Election Commission should take note of it.
Other opposition parties have criticised Chowdhury and demanded that he be sacked form the Union Cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre