MP-LAD scam accused produced in court
Cooch Behar (WB): Pradip Chakraborty, the main accused in the MP-LAD scam in Cooch Behar, was produced in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate today and was remanded in judicial custody till February 27.
The court received no prayer for his release under bail today. He will be produced again in the court on 27 February.
Mohan Gandhi, the district magistrate of Cooch Behar, filed an FIR against Chakraborty who is an employee of his office.
After lodging of the FIR on 11 January, Chakraborty went absconding. He was arrested from a house at Jamaldaha in Mekhliganj sub-division on January 29.
On the next day he was produced to the court of the CJM in Cooch behar and was remanded in police custody for 14 days.
Cooch Behar MP (Lok Sabha), Nripendra Nath Roy brought an allegation to the DM against misappropriation of his Local Area Development fund (MP-LAD fund).
Considering the seriousness of the allegation, the DM lodged an FIR against the employee who dealt with the matter for years.
Soon after it, Chakraborty absconded. Meanwhile, another MP (Rajya Sabha), Tarinai Roy too came out with allegation of misappropriation of his MP-LAD fund.
The DM ordered a departmental inquiry into the matter.
The CID also took over the case from the Cooch Behar District Police and started a thorough probe into the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen