MP-LAD scam accused produced in court
Cooch Behar (WB): Pradip Chakraborty, the main accused in the MP-LAD scam in Cooch Behar, was produced in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate today and was remanded in judicial custody till February 27.
The court received no prayer for his release under bail today. He will be produced again in the court on 27 February.
Mohan Gandhi, the district magistrate of Cooch Behar, filed an FIR against Chakraborty who is an employee of his office.
After lodging of the FIR on 11 January, Chakraborty went absconding. He was arrested from a house at Jamaldaha in Mekhliganj sub-division on January 29.
On the next day he was produced to the court of the CJM in Cooch behar and was remanded in police custody for 14 days.
Cooch Behar MP (Lok Sabha), Nripendra Nath Roy brought an allegation to the DM against misappropriation of his Local Area Development fund (MP-LAD fund).
Considering the seriousness of the allegation, the DM lodged an FIR against the employee who dealt with the matter for years.
Soon after it, Chakraborty absconded. Meanwhile, another MP (Rajya Sabha), Tarinai Roy too came out with allegation of misappropriation of his MP-LAD fund.
The DM ordered a departmental inquiry into the matter.
The CID also took over the case from the Cooch Behar District Police and started a thorough probe into the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister