Murshidabad kid arrives India after staying in B`desh
Baharampur: Five-year-old Ariful Sheikh of Murshidabad district on Sunday arrived in India after spending a year in a Bangladesh jail with his grandparents sentenced to two months in prison for trespassing.
Ariful and his grandparents Hashimuddin Sheikh (48) and Mafroza Khatun (40) landed at Gede border checkpoint in Nadia district through western Chuadanga frontiers in Bangladesh at 11.30 am, the police said.
On setting foot on Indian soil, Hashimuddin Sheikh said, "it feels good to be returning home after such a long time".
Ariful was returning home in Murshidabad district today after spending a year at Kushtia Jail in Bangladesh with his grandparents.
Ariful had accompanied his farmer grandfather Hashimuddin Sheikh and grandmother Mafroza Khatun to the neighbouring country in April last year to visit an ailing relative there.
They were arrested while returning from Bangladesh on April 15, 2011 after they were found travelling without proper travel documents, police said.
They were sentenced to a two-month jail term and fined Taka 500. Although their jail term ended in June last, they were behind bars for almost a year.
The family hails from Gajadhar para near here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27