Nandigram movement to continue till accused punished: Roy
Nandigram: On the third anniversary
today of the police firing at Nandigram in East Midnapore
district that left 14 persons dead, the Trinamool Congress
vowed to pursue its agitation till the perpetrators were
"The agitation spearheaded by Bhoomi Uchched Pratirodh
Committee (anti-land acquisition committee) will continue
until the CPI(M) goons and perpetrators of the police firing
are punished. They are roaming scot-free," Union Shipping
Minister Mukul Roy said.
"Our agitation will continue until the demands of the
villagers injured in police firing are compensated," Roy, a
Trinamool Congress leader, told a rally at Bhangabera.
According to him, CPI-M leaders were trying to scuttle
the agitation by attacking Trinamool Congress leaders,
particularly those holding offices in gram panchayats in
Citing the bomb attack on a upa-pradhan of Bhekutia gram
panchayat of Nandigram Sunday, he said, "This is a
conspiracy hatched by CPI-M leaders to stall our movement."
Three years ago on this day police opened fire while
trying to enter Nandigram, which they had been unable to enter
since early January that year after people dug up the roads
and barred entry on fears that their land would be acquired
for a chemical hub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi