Nandigram movement to continue till accused punished: Roy
Nandigram: On the third anniversary
today of the police firing at Nandigram in East Midnapore
district that left 14 persons dead, the Trinamool Congress
vowed to pursue its agitation till the perpetrators were
"The agitation spearheaded by Bhoomi Uchched Pratirodh
Committee (anti-land acquisition committee) will continue
until the CPI(M) goons and perpetrators of the police firing
are punished. They are roaming scot-free," Union Shipping
Minister Mukul Roy said.
"Our agitation will continue until the demands of the
villagers injured in police firing are compensated," Roy, a
Trinamool Congress leader, told a rally at Bhangabera.
According to him, CPI-M leaders were trying to scuttle
the agitation by attacking Trinamool Congress leaders,
particularly those holding offices in gram panchayats in
Citing the bomb attack on a upa-pradhan of Bhekutia gram
panchayat of Nandigram Sunday, he said, "This is a
conspiracy hatched by CPI-M leaders to stall our movement."
Three years ago on this day police opened fire while
trying to enter Nandigram, which they had been unable to enter
since early January that year after people dug up the roads
and barred entry on fears that their land would be acquired
for a chemical hub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen