‘Narayanan should not have made ‘goondaism’ comment’
Kolkata: A senior West Bengal minister on Thursday criticised Governor MK Narayanan for his comment that `goondaism` was taking place in the state, saying that this was not expected of a constitutional head and it would act as instigation.
"Making such a statement publicly without calling for a report from the state government is not correct," Panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters at the state secretariat.
Stating that Narayanan was appointed by the Congress and was deputed in the state as a keeper of the constitution, Mukherjee said "He was also an IPS officer. He should not have made such a sweeping comment on an isolated incident. This will create confusion among the people. His remark will also act as an instigation.
"My advice is this and constitution also says that he could have summoned the chief secretary, our officers and taken a report from them. He could have made his statement on the basis of it. Such a comment based on newspaper reports was not expected from him," Mukherjee said.
"We are keeping a watch on what he is saying," the minister added.
Meanwhile, former state governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi dubbed the politics of violence as mindless.
"It destroys both the persons -- aimed at and aiming. It is something which politics must learn from history," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore