Naryanan seeks report on assault on Sobhandeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Thursday directed Calcutta University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das to take immediate action against those who had assaulted veteran Trinamool Congress leader Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay in the campus on November 27.
"He asked me to take appropriate action to stop recurrence of such undesirable incidents which affects academic atmosphere in the university," Das who was called by Narayanan, who is the chancellor, said.
Das said that Narayanan was worried by the incident which he condemned as unfortunate and sought details.
Chattopadhyay, the Government Chief Whip in the State Assembly, was assaulted allegedly by members of his party`s trade union wing when he went to meet the pro vice-chancellor.
The vice-chancellor has formed a probe committee which is to submit its report shortly.
Chattopadhyay, who was upset that party chief Mamata Banerjee has not condemned the incident, had tried to meet her in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack