Naryanan seeks report on assault on Sobhandeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Thursday directed Calcutta University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das to take immediate action against those who had assaulted veteran Trinamool Congress leader Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay in the campus on November 27.
"He asked me to take appropriate action to stop recurrence of such undesirable incidents which affects academic atmosphere in the university," Das who was called by Narayanan, who is the chancellor, said.
Das said that Narayanan was worried by the incident which he condemned as unfortunate and sought details.
Chattopadhyay, the Government Chief Whip in the State Assembly, was assaulted allegedly by members of his party`s trade union wing when he went to meet the pro vice-chancellor.
The vice-chancellor has formed a probe committee which is to submit its report shortly.
Chattopadhyay, who was upset that party chief Mamata Banerjee has not condemned the incident, had tried to meet her in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details