Naryanan seeks report on assault on Sobhandeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Thursday directed Calcutta University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das to take immediate action against those who had assaulted veteran Trinamool Congress leader Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay in the campus on November 27.
"He asked me to take appropriate action to stop recurrence of such undesirable incidents which affects academic atmosphere in the university," Das who was called by Narayanan, who is the chancellor, said.
Das said that Narayanan was worried by the incident which he condemned as unfortunate and sought details.
Chattopadhyay, the Government Chief Whip in the State Assembly, was assaulted allegedly by members of his party`s trade union wing when he went to meet the pro vice-chancellor.
The vice-chancellor has formed a probe committee which is to submit its report shortly.
Chattopadhyay, who was upset that party chief Mamata Banerjee has not condemned the incident, had tried to meet her in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!