Naryanan seeks report on assault on Sobhandeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Thursday directed Calcutta University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das to take immediate action against those who had assaulted veteran Trinamool Congress leader Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay in the campus on November 27.
"He asked me to take appropriate action to stop recurrence of such undesirable incidents which affects academic atmosphere in the university," Das who was called by Narayanan, who is the chancellor, said.
Das said that Narayanan was worried by the incident which he condemned as unfortunate and sought details.
Chattopadhyay, the Government Chief Whip in the State Assembly, was assaulted allegedly by members of his party`s trade union wing when he went to meet the pro vice-chancellor.
The vice-chancellor has formed a probe committee which is to submit its report shortly.
Chattopadhyay, who was upset that party chief Mamata Banerjee has not condemned the incident, had tried to meet her in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez