Naryanan seeks report on assault on Sobhandeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Thursday directed Calcutta University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das to take immediate action against those who had assaulted veteran Trinamool Congress leader Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay in the campus on November 27.
"He asked me to take appropriate action to stop recurrence of such undesirable incidents which affects academic atmosphere in the university," Das who was called by Narayanan, who is the chancellor, said.
Das said that Narayanan was worried by the incident which he condemned as unfortunate and sought details.
Chattopadhyay, the Government Chief Whip in the State Assembly, was assaulted allegedly by members of his party`s trade union wing when he went to meet the pro vice-chancellor.
The vice-chancellor has formed a probe committee which is to submit its report shortly.
Chattopadhyay, who was upset that party chief Mamata Banerjee has not condemned the incident, had tried to meet her in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’