Naxal violence claims six times more CRPF lives than others
New Delhi: The CRPF has lost six times more men at the hands of Naxals this year as compared to its casualties in other combat zones, including terror-hit Jammu and Kashmir or insurgency-affected North East.
While the counter-Naxal task has claimed the lives of 46 CRPF personnel across 20 states till September this year, seven troops lost their lives in Jammu and Kashmir while one was killed in the North East.
"The force lost a total of 54 men and officers across various theatres of duties but the Naxal-infested areas have resulted into the maximum loss of lives. The challenge is huge here," a CRPF officer said.
According to a Union Home Ministry data, CRPF troops also killed 52 naxalites, 56 terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir and 45 insurgents in the North East, totalling 153.
Various battalions of the force also recovered around 1,200 detonators, mostly form Naxal areas, while almost 60 litres of liquid explosives was recovered from Jammu and Kashmir.
With the government now going ahead for a major offensive against the Maoists, the regular battalions of the force are being supported with additional CoBRA troops to "achieve operational successes and bring down casualties", a senior Home Ministry official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users