Naxal violence claims six times more CRPF lives than others
New Delhi: The CRPF has lost six times more men at the hands of Naxals this year as compared to its casualties in other combat zones, including terror-hit Jammu and Kashmir or insurgency-affected North East.
While the counter-Naxal task has claimed the lives of 46 CRPF personnel across 20 states till September this year, seven troops lost their lives in Jammu and Kashmir while one was killed in the North East.
"The force lost a total of 54 men and officers across various theatres of duties but the Naxal-infested areas have resulted into the maximum loss of lives. The challenge is huge here," a CRPF officer said.
According to a Union Home Ministry data, CRPF troops also killed 52 naxalites, 56 terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir and 45 insurgents in the North East, totalling 153.
Various battalions of the force also recovered around 1,200 detonators, mostly form Naxal areas, while almost 60 litres of liquid explosives was recovered from Jammu and Kashmir.
With the government now going ahead for a major offensive against the Maoists, the regular battalions of the force are being supported with additional CoBRA troops to "achieve operational successes and bring down casualties", a senior Home Ministry official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared