Naxal violence claims six times more CRPF lives than others
New Delhi: The CRPF has lost six times more men at the hands of Naxals this year as compared to its casualties in other combat zones, including terror-hit Jammu and Kashmir or insurgency-affected North East.
While the counter-Naxal task has claimed the lives of 46 CRPF personnel across 20 states till September this year, seven troops lost their lives in Jammu and Kashmir while one was killed in the North East.
"The force lost a total of 54 men and officers across various theatres of duties but the Naxal-infested areas have resulted into the maximum loss of lives. The challenge is huge here," a CRPF officer said.
According to a Union Home Ministry data, CRPF troops also killed 52 naxalites, 56 terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir and 45 insurgents in the North East, totalling 153.
Various battalions of the force also recovered around 1,200 detonators, mostly form Naxal areas, while almost 60 litres of liquid explosives was recovered from Jammu and Kashmir.
With the government now going ahead for a major offensive against the Maoists, the regular battalions of the force are being supported with additional CoBRA troops to "achieve operational successes and bring down casualties", a senior Home Ministry official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'