NE exodus: CM deplores attempts to rake up trouble
Kolkata: Voicing concern over the mass exodus of the northeastern people in the wake of Assam violence, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday deplored attempts to rake up trouble.
"Do not listen to rumours. Please maintain peace and harmony," she told the huge congregation for Eid namaz at the Red Road here.
"We do not support this (violence). We will give all support (to Assam) in the prevailing situation.
"Those who have taken shelter in Jalpaiguri district (of West Bengal) are our guests ... We have given them shelter. If any of them do not want to return now we will continue to provide them shelter," she said.
Banerjee, who had been invited by the Khilafat Committee, said her government had taken up several programmes for the uplift of the minorities since it came to power in 2011. Besides, the state budget allocation for minority welfare had been increased by 80 per cent.
"Other parties make promises to the minorities before elections but do not keep them. But Trinamool Congress government has not done it," she said, adding her government had passed in July West Bengal Backward Classes (other than SC and ST) (Reservation of Vacancies in Services and Posts) Bill, 2012 providing 17 per cent job reservation for OBCs other than SC/STs.
She said the state government will set up complexes for minorities in every district, besides, Aliah University.
Thousands of people participated in the Eid prayer braving rains. Union Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed, West Bengal Minister for Urban Development and Municipal Affairs Firhad Hakim and Disaster Management Minister Javed Hakim were present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito