Need no lesson from CPI(M) in democracy: TMC
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress on Monday hit back at CPI(M) for calling its chief Mamata Banerjee a "fascist", saying it needed no lessons in democracy and tolerance from the Left party whose "ideal" form of government is a dictatorship.
"We need no lessons in tolerance from those who have killed 55,000 people in three decades -- butchers of Nandigram and more," Trinamool spokesperson Derek O`Brien told PTI.
His comments came in reaction to CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury`s castigation of Mamata for allegedly targeting a book by a senior IPS officer on the plight of Muslims in the state, charging it reflected her "fascist" and "intolerant" attitude.
"Look who is giving lessons in democracy: an ideologue whose ideal form of government is dictatorship," said O`Brien, the Chief Whip of Trinamool in the Rajya Sabha.
He insisted that "no book" has been banned in West Bengal as perceived.
At the same time, he said it was "sad" that a political party rpt political party was playing the religion card and trying to divide peace-loving Hindus and Muslims of Bengal, particularly after Assam incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Afghans push India for more arms, despite Pakistan's wary eye
- Canada to US tourists: please leave your guns at home
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar