Need no lesson from CPI(M) in democracy: TMC
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress on Monday hit back at CPI(M) for calling its chief Mamata Banerjee a "fascist", saying it needed no lessons in democracy and tolerance from the Left party whose "ideal" form of government is a dictatorship.
"We need no lessons in tolerance from those who have killed 55,000 people in three decades -- butchers of Nandigram and more," Trinamool spokesperson Derek O`Brien told PTI.
His comments came in reaction to CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury`s castigation of Mamata for allegedly targeting a book by a senior IPS officer on the plight of Muslims in the state, charging it reflected her "fascist" and "intolerant" attitude.
"Look who is giving lessons in democracy: an ideologue whose ideal form of government is dictatorship," said O`Brien, the Chief Whip of Trinamool in the Rajya Sabha.
He insisted that "no book" has been banned in West Bengal as perceived.
At the same time, he said it was "sad" that a political party rpt political party was playing the religion card and trying to divide peace-loving Hindus and Muslims of Bengal, particularly after Assam incidents.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Cong accuses PM Modi of doctoring birth details, education info; threatens to expose facts
- North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un bans all weddings, funerals ahead of party congress: Report
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court