Need no lesson from CPI(M) in democracy: TMC
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress on Monday hit back at CPI(M) for calling its chief Mamata Banerjee a "fascist", saying it needed no lessons in democracy and tolerance from the Left party whose "ideal" form of government is a dictatorship.
"We need no lessons in tolerance from those who have killed 55,000 people in three decades -- butchers of Nandigram and more," Trinamool spokesperson Derek O`Brien told PTI.
His comments came in reaction to CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury`s castigation of Mamata for allegedly targeting a book by a senior IPS officer on the plight of Muslims in the state, charging it reflected her "fascist" and "intolerant" attitude.
"Look who is giving lessons in democracy: an ideologue whose ideal form of government is dictatorship," said O`Brien, the Chief Whip of Trinamool in the Rajya Sabha.
He insisted that "no book" has been banned in West Bengal as perceived.
At the same time, he said it was "sad" that a political party rpt political party was playing the religion card and trying to divide peace-loving Hindus and Muslims of Bengal, particularly after Assam incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review