Netai case: HC directs police to extend all facilities to CBI
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday directed West Bengal Police to extend all facilities to the
CBI investigating the January 7 Netai massacre in West
Midnapore district, and asked the CID to ensure that there was
no intimidation of witnesses.
A division bench of Chief Justice J N Patel and
Justice A K Roy gave the direction after CBI submitted that
the state police was not cooperating with it in the probe.
The bench asked the state government to ensure that
the police provided vehicles and extended facilities for the
CBI inquiry after its counsel made a submission.
The Calcutta High Court Bar Association, the
petitioner, alleged intimidation of witnesses in the case.
It said that three witnesses had complained to the
police that they were intimidated against deposing before the
The police was also asked to ensure that there was no
intimidation and asked the CID to locate areas from where such
incidents were reported.
The CBI counsel informed the bench that the probe
agency had come to know that armed camps existed in West
Midnapore district since 2009.
Advocate-General Balai Roy, who represented the state,
assured the court that police camps would be posted at Netai
and its surrounding areas within 24 hours to prevent any
A local court in Jhargram yesterday filed charge sheet
against twenty persons, all CPI-M leaders, for the massacre.
The charge sheet, filed before the Jhargram sub-
divisional court, named 20 persons responsible for the
incident in which nine persons, including four women, were
killed and over thirty others injured.
Of the total accused, twelve were arrested while eight
are presently absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened