Netai massacre accused arrested in Jhagram
Jhargram: An accused in the Netai massacre case in which CPI(M) supporters allegedly killed nine persons in West Midnapore district in 2011 has been arrested in Hooghly district, the police said Friday.
A team led by CID special superintendent Bharati Ghosh last night arrested Chandi Karan, CPI(M)`s Belatikri local committee secretary.
With this, 19 of the 20 accused in the case have been arrested.
Another CPI(M) leader Fullara Mandal is still absconding.
The main accused Anuj Pandey, CPI(M)`s former Binpur zonal committee secretary, was arrested from Chandrapura in Bokaro district on May 6 last.
Five more accused in the case, all local CPI(M) leaders, were arrested from Hyderabad on April 30 last.
Twelve persons had earlier been arrested in connection with the case.
Nine persons were killed in indiscriminate firing allegedly from CPI(M) leader Rathin Dandapat`s house at Netai village on January 7, 2011.
The Calcutta High Court had ordered a CBI inquiry into the massacre in February 2011, expressing dissatisfaction with a CID probe then. The then Left Front government`s appeal against the order was turned down by the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees