Netaji`s life epitome of sacrifice and service: Prez
Kolkata: Calling him a "real icon" of India, President Pranab Mukherjee today said several important features of our constitutional system were part of freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose`s vision.
"He (Bose) is a real icon, particularly for the younger generation. He was a great son of the country whose life was nothing but sacrifice and service," Mukherjee told a gathering that included Bose`s family including his daughter Anita Pfaff, her husband Martin Pfaff and relative Krishna Bose.
Mukherjee said that while preparing the acceptance speech on being elected as the President, he had turned over to Netaji`s thoughts and speeches as the President of the Indian National Congress.
He said the Directive Principles of State Policy, which are now a part of our Constitution and the concept of Five-Year plans, were a part of Bose`s vision for the governance of country after Independence.
When Bose was the President of the Indian National Commission, Mukherjee said, he had even appointed a Planning body with India`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and renowned scientist Meghnad Saha as the members.
Mukherjee said Swami Vivekanand had a great influence on Bose and noted that the freedom fighter had written that he was barely fifteen when Vivekananda entered his life.
On the occasion, Bose`s daughter Anita presented Mukherjee a copy of the Bengali version of Sugata Bose`s book `His Majesty`s Opponent`. Anita remarked that very few people were so lovingly remembered by their countrymen as her father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday