Never said I`ll beat up PM: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday denied saying anything about beating up the Prime Minister and blamed the media for "distorting facts".
"What have I said? I only said I went to meet the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) several times regarding our financial position. I can only meet and talk to him in a democratic way. I cannot beat him," she said here.
"What is wrong? I never said I`ll beat him. Check out what I have said. Do not try to mislead people by distorting facts," she said.
While criticising the central government for hike in fertiliser prices, Banerjee, at a rally on Monday, said: "I personally met the Prime Minister at least 10 times. What else can I do? Shall I go beat him up? Then people will call me a `goonda`. Anyway, they call me that. But I don`t care. I can go to the very last for the people."
The comment was widely criticised with the Congress demanding an apology from her for using "undemocratic language to hurt the Prime Minister".
"This kind of words from a Chief Minister while taking about the Prime Minister is totally unacceptable. We demand an immediate apology. We will launch a statewide protest," Minister of State for Urban Development Deepa Dasmunshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella India visit: Talks of transformative role of apps and services to come
- MEA official meets deceased Congolese national's family
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley