Never said I`ll beat up PM: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday denied saying anything about beating up the Prime Minister and blamed the media for "distorting facts".
"What have I said? I only said I went to meet the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) several times regarding our financial position. I can only meet and talk to him in a democratic way. I cannot beat him," she said here.
"What is wrong? I never said I`ll beat him. Check out what I have said. Do not try to mislead people by distorting facts," she said.
While criticising the central government for hike in fertiliser prices, Banerjee, at a rally on Monday, said: "I personally met the Prime Minister at least 10 times. What else can I do? Shall I go beat him up? Then people will call me a `goonda`. Anyway, they call me that. But I don`t care. I can go to the very last for the people."
The comment was widely criticised with the Congress demanding an apology from her for using "undemocratic language to hurt the Prime Minister".
"This kind of words from a Chief Minister while taking about the Prime Minister is totally unacceptable. We demand an immediate apology. We will launch a statewide protest," Minister of State for Urban Development Deepa Dasmunshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan