New integrated terminal to come up at Kolkata airport
New Delhi: With a phenomenal growth in air
traffic, a plush new integrated terminal will come up at the
Kolkata airport by March next year with over 70 percent of
the work having been completed so far.
The new terminal would have an annual capacity of
handling 20 million passengers, including four million
international travellers, Airports Authority of India (AAI)
A rapid exit taxiway from the main runway and
extension of the secondary runway has already been completed,
There has been a major growth in passenger traffic at
the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in the
last five years.
The passenger traffic, which grew between 1972-73 to
2004-05 at a annual compounded growth rate of four percent,
is now showing a phenomenal growth of 12 percent for
international passengers and 20 percent for domestic.
The entire modernisation work, including the
integrated passenger terminal that would simultaneously handle
domestic and international passengers, is being carried out at
an estimated cost of Rs 1942.51 crore, the sources said.
The 1,670 acre airport will have a peak hour handling
capacity of 7,452 passengers, compared with 1,700 passengers
at present in the domestic terminal and 1,150 in the
The two parallel runways have a combined handling
capacity of 21 aircraft movements per hour at present, they
said, adding that 23 new parking bays are being constructed in
addition to the existing 36.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi