New integrated terminal to come up at Kolkata airport
New Delhi: With a phenomenal growth in air
traffic, a plush new integrated terminal will come up at the
Kolkata airport by March next year with over 70 percent of
the work having been completed so far.
The new terminal would have an annual capacity of
handling 20 million passengers, including four million
international travellers, Airports Authority of India (AAI)
A rapid exit taxiway from the main runway and
extension of the secondary runway has already been completed,
There has been a major growth in passenger traffic at
the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in the
last five years.
The passenger traffic, which grew between 1972-73 to
2004-05 at a annual compounded growth rate of four percent,
is now showing a phenomenal growth of 12 percent for
international passengers and 20 percent for domestic.
The entire modernisation work, including the
integrated passenger terminal that would simultaneously handle
domestic and international passengers, is being carried out at
an estimated cost of Rs 1942.51 crore, the sources said.
The 1,670 acre airport will have a peak hour handling
capacity of 7,452 passengers, compared with 1,700 passengers
at present in the domestic terminal and 1,150 in the
The two parallel runways have a combined handling
capacity of 21 aircraft movements per hour at present, they
said, adding that 23 new parking bays are being constructed in
addition to the existing 36.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister