New pay commission is outcome of election force: Maira
Kolkata: Constitution of the 7th Pay Commission is an "election force", Planning Commission member Arun Maira said on Wednesday.
"All government employees will want it while others may not... This is a big election force," Maira said on the sidelines of a FICCI organised seminar on India`s Regulatory Framework here.
"It is an interesting situation since it is election time," he said when asked about the timing for it.
"You need to get elected otherwise you cannot do what you want to do," he added.
The recommendations of the Commission will benefit about 50 lakh central government employees, including those in defence and railways, and about 30 lakh pensioners, coming ahead of the assembly elections in five states in November and the general elections next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY