New pay commission is outcome of election force: Maira
Kolkata: Constitution of the 7th Pay Commission is an "election force", Planning Commission member Arun Maira said on Wednesday.
"All government employees will want it while others may not... This is a big election force," Maira said on the sidelines of a FICCI organised seminar on India`s Regulatory Framework here.
"It is an interesting situation since it is election time," he said when asked about the timing for it.
"You need to get elected otherwise you cannot do what you want to do," he added.
The recommendations of the Commission will benefit about 50 lakh central government employees, including those in defence and railways, and about 30 lakh pensioners, coming ahead of the assembly elections in five states in November and the general elections next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Do you remember Anupam Kher's first movie? Hint: It clocks 32 years today!
- FIR against Bajrang Dal activists for organising arms training camp
- Vijay Mallya cheque bounce case adjourned till June 6
- VS Achuthanandan has a message for Kerala's new LDF government – Read
- Batla House encounter was not fake: Shivraj Patil