New pay commission is outcome of election force: Maira
Kolkata: Constitution of the 7th Pay Commission is an "election force", Planning Commission member Arun Maira said on Wednesday.
"All government employees will want it while others may not... This is a big election force," Maira said on the sidelines of a FICCI organised seminar on India`s Regulatory Framework here.
"It is an interesting situation since it is election time," he said when asked about the timing for it.
"You need to get elected otherwise you cannot do what you want to do," he added.
The recommendations of the Commission will benefit about 50 lakh central government employees, including those in defence and railways, and about 30 lakh pensioners, coming ahead of the assembly elections in five states in November and the general elections next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Black money window: I-T dept creates special tab on website
- India's growth may dip by 0.60% on Brexit, predicts Morgan Stanley
- Players did not lose faith in Hodgson: Wayne Rooney
- IND vs NZ: New-age Team India announce Kiwi-series fixtures in unique style
- EPFO aims to cover all workers under PF, pension by 2030