New WB govt not to take revenge : Governor
Kolkata: The new West Bengal government
will probe corruption in high places and crime against people
by the previous regime in the past 34 years, but not adopt the
path of revenge and repression, Governor M K Narayanan said
In his customary inaugural speech at the beginning of
the budget session of the Assembly, Narayanan emphasised that
the government would ensure democratic rights of all political
parties, including the opposition.
"My government plans to put an end policies of the
past curbing rights of the opposition and aims at providing
an impartial, efficient and transparent administration free
from nepotism and corruption," he said.
Stating that the government would desist from
employing the police for subjugating democratic movements, he
said they would be directed to act impartially in upholding
democratic rights of the people and freedom of individuals.
The governor said that police would be directed to
effectively combat crime so that anti-social forces did not
interfere in law and order.
On political prisoners, he said "my government aims at
streamlining measures to speed up cases of political prisoners
in the state and a move in this direction has already been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...