NGO moves SC for keeping West Bengal panchayat polls free of Ramzan
New Delhi/West Bengal: An NGO on Monday approached Supreme Court seeking re-scheduling of panchayat polls in West Bengal to keep it free from the period of Ramzan, which is likely to start from July 10.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir agreed to the plea of the NGO, Progressive Youth Foundation, for listing the matter tomorrow.
The matter will be heard by the same bench which on June 28 had rescheduled the dates of West Bengal panchayat elections and directed the State Election Commission (SEC) to conduct the exercise in five phases starting July 11.
Originally, the polls were slated to commence from July 2 in three phases.
Aggrieved by the June 28 order, the NGO through senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi submitted that the court should consider the plea as there is a considerable population of Muslims who have to participate in the polls.
Prior to mentioning the matter before the bench of CJI, the NGO had rushed to the bench of Justice AK Patnaik who said the matter was already disposed of on June 28 and has to be freshly listed on orders of the CJI.
On June 28, a bench of justices AK Patnaik and Ranjan Gogoi directed that the election will be held on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25.
The apex court had also directed the state government to provide on an average 35,000 security personnel for each phase of the election and the rest of the requirement of security forces will be provided by the Centre.
The apex court had passed the order on a petition filed by the SEC which had approached it seeking directions to the state and the Centre to provide adequate security personnel for the election.
The election body had contended it was not possible to hold violence-free polls in the prevailing circumstances as enough security personnel were not available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!