NHRC issues notice to WB govt on infant deaths
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) on Friday issued notice to West Bengal
government asking it to submit within two weeks a report on
the death of 17 babies in a Kolkata hospital.
Taking cognisance of media reports and a complaint,
the NHRC asked the state`s Health Secretary to conduct a
detailed investigation into the matter and submit the report
to the Commission.
An NHRC spokesperson said the action came in wake of
media reports and a complaint alleging that 17 infants died
within a span of two days at B C Roy Paediatric Hospital in
Kolkata leading to protest by the parents who accused doctors
"Paediatric care is one of the cardinal requirements
of infant health and any negligence or dereliction of duty by
public servants or doctors is detrimental to the right to
health of the concerned. The allegations, if true, amount to
serious violation of human rights," the Commission observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about