NHRC takes cognizance about Norway custody row
Kolkata: The National Human Rights
Commission has taken cognizance of a complaint by a
Kolkata-based NGO about the child custody row in Norway and
directed the Ministry of External Affairs to take appropriate
action it deems fit, the NGO claimed on Monday.
The complaint, dated December 26, 2011, received from
Rajeev Sarkar, Trustee secretary of the NGO "India Smile" in
respect of Abhigyan, son of Anurup Bhattacharya, and others,
was placed before the commission on February 9, 2012.
Quoting a communication by the law division of the
NHRC, Sarkar said that the commission has directed that
the complaint be transmitted to the concerned authority for
such action as it deems appropriate.
Sarkar said that he, on behalf of the NGO, had sent a
complaint to the NHRC on January 26 last about the way two
kids of Indian origin were taken away from their parents by a
Norwegian child care centre on flimsy grounds.
``We informed the NHRC that it is most pathetic that a
mother has been subjected to both physical and mental torture
as a result of such inhuman act of the Norwegian child care
centre,`` Sarkar said.
The NGO has already appealed to External Affairs
Minister SM Krishna to assist it in bringing back to India
the two children who are in the midst of the custody row in
The NGO, which had earlier urged the government to
bring back the two children Abhigyan (3) and Aishwaraya (1)
from Oslo, said it was willing to bear all expenses in
bringing them up till they attained the age of 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested