NHRC takes cognizance about Norway custody row
Kolkata: The National Human Rights
Commission has taken cognizance of a complaint by a
Kolkata-based NGO about the child custody row in Norway and
directed the Ministry of External Affairs to take appropriate
action it deems fit, the NGO claimed on Monday.
The complaint, dated December 26, 2011, received from
Rajeev Sarkar, Trustee secretary of the NGO "India Smile" in
respect of Abhigyan, son of Anurup Bhattacharya, and others,
was placed before the commission on February 9, 2012.
Quoting a communication by the law division of the
NHRC, Sarkar said that the commission has directed that
the complaint be transmitted to the concerned authority for
such action as it deems appropriate.
Sarkar said that he, on behalf of the NGO, had sent a
complaint to the NHRC on January 26 last about the way two
kids of Indian origin were taken away from their parents by a
Norwegian child care centre on flimsy grounds.
``We informed the NHRC that it is most pathetic that a
mother has been subjected to both physical and mental torture
as a result of such inhuman act of the Norwegian child care
centre,`` Sarkar said.
The NGO has already appealed to External Affairs
Minister SM Krishna to assist it in bringing back to India
the two children who are in the midst of the custody row in
The NGO, which had earlier urged the government to
bring back the two children Abhigyan (3) and Aishwaraya (1)
from Oslo, said it was willing to bear all expenses in
bringing them up till they attained the age of 18.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!