Nine children die in West Bengal hospital
Malda: With one more child dying on Saturday, the toll in children death from an unidentified illness at Malda Medical College and Hospital in West Bengal rose to nine, Health department official said.
One child died today while 20 others are undergoing treatment in the hospital, he said.
Earlier, the Superintendent-cum-Vice Principal of the Malda Medical College Hospital MA Rashid had said that "the children, aged between 1-6 years, were admitted here with high fever, vomiting and convulsion on Thursday night.
Eight of the children died in the past couple of days."
All the affected children hail from Kaliachak-I, Kaliachak-II and Kaliachak-III blocks of Malda district, officials said.
Rashid said, "The symptoms started with fever and vomiting. It soon intensified and culminated in convulsions, leading to death of the children."
A team of specialists from School of Tropical Medicine in Kolkata visited the area today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence