Nine children die in West Bengal hospital
Malda: With one more child dying on Saturday, the toll in children death from an unidentified illness at Malda Medical College and Hospital in West Bengal rose to nine, Health department official said.
One child died today while 20 others are undergoing treatment in the hospital, he said.
Earlier, the Superintendent-cum-Vice Principal of the Malda Medical College Hospital MA Rashid had said that "the children, aged between 1-6 years, were admitted here with high fever, vomiting and convulsion on Thursday night.
Eight of the children died in the past couple of days."
All the affected children hail from Kaliachak-I, Kaliachak-II and Kaliachak-III blocks of Malda district, officials said.
Rashid said, "The symptoms started with fever and vomiting. It soon intensified and culminated in convulsions, leading to death of the children."
A team of specialists from School of Tropical Medicine in Kolkata visited the area today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY