Nine children die in West Bengal hospital
Malda: With one more child dying on Saturday, the toll in children death from an unidentified illness at Malda Medical College and Hospital in West Bengal rose to nine, Health department official said.
One child died today while 20 others are undergoing treatment in the hospital, he said.
Earlier, the Superintendent-cum-Vice Principal of the Malda Medical College Hospital MA Rashid had said that "the children, aged between 1-6 years, were admitted here with high fever, vomiting and convulsion on Thursday night.
Eight of the children died in the past couple of days."
All the affected children hail from Kaliachak-I, Kaliachak-II and Kaliachak-III blocks of Malda district, officials said.
Rashid said, "The symptoms started with fever and vomiting. It soon intensified and culminated in convulsions, leading to death of the children."
A team of specialists from School of Tropical Medicine in Kolkata visited the area today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation
- Barack Obama confirms death of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour, says chance for peace
- After buyout, this company will be world`s biggest agricultural supplier
- Material that can help develop new computing technologies developed!
- In this spectacular temple complex, you will find a hall with ‘thousand’ pillars!