Nine infants die at West Bengal hospital
Malda (WB): Nine babies died within a space
of 12 hours at the Malda Medical College and Hospital in the
district where barely two months back 20 new-borns had died.
Of the nine babies, who died between Wednesday
evening and Thursday morning, seven were aged between one and
26 days while two others were between the ages of six and
eight months, hospital sources said.
Six of them died in the newly-opened Sick New-born Care
Unit in the hospital where only critical patients are
admitted. Three others died in the general paediatric ward.
All of them were brought from rural hospitals with
complications of low birth weight and varying degrees of
West Bengal has been beset with children`s deaths in
hospitals across several districts since early last year.
Between Oct 25 and 28 last year, 16 babies died at the
BC Roy Children`s Hospital, the only children`s referral
hospital in Kolkata.
Earlier in July 18 of the same year, 18 infants had
The Burdwan Medical College and Hospital had reported
12 infant deaths on October 27-28, last year.
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?