No alternative to Left Front: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: Claiming that there was no
alternative to the Left Front government in West Bengal, Chief
Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Thursday questioned the
Trinamool Congress` call for change in the assembly elections.
"What change is contemplated by this undisciplined and
directionless party which indulges in violence? There is no
alternative for the people of West Bengal and I am sure people
will apply their mind in the elections," he told a meeting of
teachers and non-teaching staff at Bejoygarh in his Jadavpore
He asked whether the change referred to by the
Trinamool Congress would mean taking away land from farmers,
closing down educational institutions or laying off workers of
Bhattacharjee alleged that Trinamool Congress had no
plans and programmes except for stalling development
initiatives of the state government.
Claiming success of the Left Front government in the
educational sector since 1977, Bhattacharjee said "our state`s
literacy rate is 3.5 times higher than the national average".
The government, he said, had prepared an educational
map to pinpoint areas of development to further improve the
quality of primary education in the state.
"We have to further improve quality of primary
education and open more centres of excellence," he said,
adding that the state government would not encourage setting
up of private universities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites