No evidence of Maoist link against intellectuals: WB Govt
Kolkata: West Bengal government on Tuesday said
there was no evidence of Maoist link against writer Mahasweta
Devi or film-maker Aparna Sen, but Trinamool Congress chief
Mamata Banerjee pointed out that intellectuals were being
targeted by the state and dared it to arrest her.
"There is obviously no evidence of their links with
Maoists. Otherwise, they would have been arrested," Home
Secretary Ardhendu Sen told newsmen when asked whether there
was any proof of Maoist links against the two intellectuals.
There was also no evidence yet that PCPA leader
Chattradhar Mahato, who was being prosecuted under the
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, was a Maoist, he said.
Mahato also had no connection with the killing of 70
persons in Lalgarh during the Maoist violence there, he said.
Sen said that Maoist leader Kishenji alias Koteswar Rao
would also be arrested though it would be a more difficult
Railway Minister Banerjee, on the other hand, asked "why
is (theatre personality) Saonli Mitra and other intellectuals
being targeted for supporting the tribal cause? Let the
government arrest me too since I support the tribal movement."
"Support to the tribal cause does not mean supporting
Maoists," the TC chief told a local TV channel, renewing her
warning that there would be trouble if the government dared
Banerjee demanded that the state Home Secretary and the
DGP apologise for dishonouring intellectuals including
Mahasweta Devi who had supported the Lalgaarh tribal movement.
To a question, she reiterated that she had no knowledge
if Chhatradhar Mahato had Maoist links.
"I have no knowledge if Chhatradhar has Maoist links or
not. The government should investigate it ... We supported the
tribal movement at Lalgarh, but that does not mean we support
Mahasweta Devi also denied links with Maoists.
"I am unaware whether Chhatradhar is a Maoist. Once, he
came to my house with a group of women and a TV channel crew.
When I was told that the women were Maoists, I drove away all
of them, including Chhatradhar," she told agency.
Stating that she had, however, met Mahato several times,
she said, "in all the meetings, I asked him to campaign
against SEZs, or to demand ration cards for the poor."
The home secretary, meanwhile, said there was `enough
evidence` to proceed against Raja Sarkhel and Prasun
Chatterjee, the human rights activists who were arrested last
night from Jadavpur area here on charges of having links with
Maoists and the PCPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly