No impact of cyclone Phailin in West Bengal: Minister
Kolkata: Barring inundation of some low-lying areas in coastal West Bengal, there has been no impact of cyclone Phailin in the state, Disaster Management Minister Javed Khan said.
The restriction on people to stay indoors at Digha, Mandarmoni and Shankarpur in the coastal areas has been lifted as the "danger is over", he told a news agency.
Disaster management and civil defence personnel were deployed in the coastal areas to deal with the impact of the cyclone after it made landfall in Odisha last night.
"We had posted disaster management, civil defence and rescue teams at Digha, Shankarpur, Contai, Mandarmoni, Diamond Harbour and some areas in the Sundarbans," Khan said.
Powerful cyclone Phailin last night pounded the Odisha coast with wind speeds of over 200kmph.
Massive evacuations were conducted in the eastern coastal states of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha in a bid to avoid casualties in the cyclone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested