No increase in political crimes in WB: Narayanan
Melbourne: West Bengal governor M K Narayanan here today said that there has been no increase in political crimes in the state.
"I don`t think there is any increase in political crime realistically," Narayanan told PTI on the sidelines of an annual conference of Austalia India Institute (AII).
"Statistics are very difficult to debate about as per state police and administration perceptions and with whatever I know, I don`t think it has gone out wild," he said, adding that there was always a scope to improve the climate.
"People are producing statistics and I can contest that," he said.
Commenting if he could play a role to mitigate the recent fallout between the TMC and UPA, Narayanan said, "the principal role which is to advice the state CM about matters will remain the same whether you are in alliance or not."
"But in terms of giving a total integrated picture of various parties, I suppose I will have to work harder on that," he added.
Narayanan is currently on a two day visit to Melbourne to attend AII Conference on `Argumentative Indian: Critical debates in the world`s largest Democracy & perspective from Australia" which kicked off yesterday.
Delivering the keynote address today to a large audience of scholars, intellectuals and academia, Narayanan highlighted on the growing relation of India with Australia.
"High level visits between both sides take place regularly," he said, referring to the recent visit of Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard to India.
The relations between the two sides were growing in terms of trade, energy, defence, education as well as in other areas, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug