No increase in political crimes in WB: Narayanan
Melbourne: West Bengal governor M K Narayanan here today said that there has been no increase in political crimes in the state.
"I don`t think there is any increase in political crime realistically," Narayanan told PTI on the sidelines of an annual conference of Austalia India Institute (AII).
"Statistics are very difficult to debate about as per state police and administration perceptions and with whatever I know, I don`t think it has gone out wild," he said, adding that there was always a scope to improve the climate.
"People are producing statistics and I can contest that," he said.
Commenting if he could play a role to mitigate the recent fallout between the TMC and UPA, Narayanan said, "the principal role which is to advice the state CM about matters will remain the same whether you are in alliance or not."
"But in terms of giving a total integrated picture of various parties, I suppose I will have to work harder on that," he added.
Narayanan is currently on a two day visit to Melbourne to attend AII Conference on `Argumentative Indian: Critical debates in the world`s largest Democracy & perspective from Australia" which kicked off yesterday.
Delivering the keynote address today to a large audience of scholars, intellectuals and academia, Narayanan highlighted on the growing relation of India with Australia.
"High level visits between both sides take place regularly," he said, referring to the recent visit of Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard to India.
The relations between the two sides were growing in terms of trade, energy, defence, education as well as in other areas, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence