No names have come up for contesting from Darj seat: Gurung
Kolkata: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) supremo Bimal Gurung on Tuesday said the party is yet to decide on a candidate for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat.
"I would like to confirm that no names have come up for candidature. There are some rumours going around, but nothing has been finalised," Gurung said in a Facebook post.
"We will get a candidate who will raise the long-pending demands of the Gorkhas, Adivasis and the deprived and destitute people of Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri districts," he added.
The GJM leadership, along with the BJP leaders in-charge for West Bengal, today met at BJP leader LK Advani`s residence in New Delhi and discussed election strategies, Gurung said.
"At the meeting, we discussed the imminent need for consolidating the national security in Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri districts as it is a politically sensitive region. We also stressed on the need for the safety and security of Gorkhas living in India," Gurung said.
GJM, which is seen as playing a deciding factor in the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat and in parts of north Bengal, yesterday decided to forge an alliance with BJP for the upcoming general elections.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, GJM had supported senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh`s successful bid for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy