No political party in WB has demanded early election: Dy CEC
Kolkata: In the backdrop of Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s claim that assembly elections
in West Bengal would be held within two to three months,
Deputy Chief Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi on Wednesday said
that no political party had demanded early poll in the state.
"I have met all major political parties, but none of
them have demanded early polls," Zutshi told reporters here.
"So far as the dates of election are concerned, Chief
Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi has made it clear much
earlier. I have nothing more to say on the subject," he said.
Quraishi had stated in July that elections in the
state were due in June 2011 and the rules allowed the Election
Commission to begin the election process six months before the
Stating that the elections would he held in due
course, he had said the election process could not start
before December 11.
The Trinamool Congress chief had claimed in a rally in
Birbhum district on September 18 that the elections would be
held after two or three months in the state and people should
be ready for it.
Zutshi said the final electoral rolls for the assembly
elections would be published on January five.
He said that political parties had alleged that false
voters were being included in the voters list with fake
identity cards and other documents.
"I have taken note of their allegations. 87 FIR have
been filed against 290 people. I have told concerned officials
to take serious action," he said.
Zutshi also met 12 district magistrates during the day
and expressed satisfaction with the preparations for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO