No quarrel with Tata: Trinamool Congress
Kolkata: With outgoing Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata saying Singur was a `great disappointment` and hinting the Group might still go to West Bengal, a key adviser of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said `no quarrel with Tata`.
"We do not have any quarrel with Ratan Tata or anyone else," Saugato Roy who looks after industry and Information technology as an adviser to the state government told PTI here.
"The land for the Tata Motors project was acquired forcibly. We are opposed to the form of acquisition of land," he said.
"There are many farmers who have not taken the compensation cheque. The first priority of our government is to return the land to the unwilling farmers, Roy, a senior TMC Lok Sabha member and a former union minister, said.
"So it is up to Ratan Tata whether he will return the land to the unwilling farmers through out of court. And, if he does, he can set up industry in the remaining 600 acre," Roy said.
In an interview to PTI Tata had said, "Need not be Tata Motors. We have until the court decides this, the plant is still there. Whether it is Tata Motors or something else."
The Calcutta High Court on June 22, 2012 had said the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act, 2011, was unconstitutional and invalid.
The state government had moved an appeal before the Supreme Court which stayed the high court order till further direction.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!