No question of arresting or harassing Mamata: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Wednesday ruled out arrest or harassment
of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjeee before the
upcoming Assembly Elections in connection with a 17-year-old
"There is no question of arresting or harassing Mamata
Banerjee before the Assembly Elections," Bhattacharjee told a
press conference here.
The CPI-M had yesterday asked the Election Commission
to execute all non-bailable warrants, including those issued
in connection with violent incidents at Barasat in 1994 in
which the police had registered FIRs against Banerjee, among
In a memorandum to Chief Election Commissioner SY
Quraishi, who led a team on a two-day review of poll
preparedness in the state, the CPI-M referred to the
17-year-old incident at Kacharimore in Barasat in which police
had carried out a lathicharge. Then DIG (PR) Rachpal Singh was
injured in the violence.
"The police had then registered an FIR against Mamata
Banerjee," the CPI-M memorandum had said while referring to
the incident in North 24-Parganas district.
Rachpal Singh, now a retired IPS officer, incidentally
is now a Trinamool Congress candidate from Tarakeswar seat.
Reacting to the CPI-M memorandum, Trinamool Congress
general secretary Mukul Roy had yesterday wondered as to what
had prevented the police from taking any action in the last 17
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez