No religion-based reservation, says Mamata
Mamata Banerjee Thursday rubbished demands of reservation for Muslims on the basis of religion and said the idea cannot work as it is not permitted by the Indian Constitution.
With Muslims comprising nearly 30 percent of the state`s population, Banerjee continues to dole out largesse to the community with an eye to the upcoming Panchayat polls.
She had announced that the state government would provide a monthly honorarium to imams. The state government has also announced that muezzins of mosques would be paid through the Waqf Board this week.
Continuing to shower sops on the minority community, the chief minister had then said that the cabinet had ratified a proposal for reservation of jobs for Muslims under the other backward classes (OBC) category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Not just LGBT, Sonam Kapoor is strong supporter of basic human rights
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities