No religion-based reservation, says Mamata
Mamata Banerjee Thursday rubbished demands of reservation for Muslims on the basis of religion and said the idea cannot work as it is not permitted by the Indian Constitution.
With Muslims comprising nearly 30 percent of the state`s population, Banerjee continues to dole out largesse to the community with an eye to the upcoming Panchayat polls.
She had announced that the state government would provide a monthly honorarium to imams. The state government has also announced that muezzins of mosques would be paid through the Waqf Board this week.
Continuing to shower sops on the minority community, the chief minister had then said that the cabinet had ratified a proposal for reservation of jobs for Muslims under the other backward classes (OBC) category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video