Noisy scenes in WB House as Left stages walkout
Kolkata: The West Bengal Assembly on Monday
witnessed noisy scenes as opposition Left Front members rushed
to the well and later staged a walk-out when Speaker Biman
Bandopadhyay turned down their adjournment motion on the issue
of plight of farmers in the state.
The Speaker, however, allowed Mishra to read an edited
version of the motion which said many farmers have decided not
to go for boro cultivation owing to black marketing of
fertilisers and irregularities in the supply of seeds. This
was affecting agriculture production.
It said the tendency to take loans is increasing among
farmers and they are becoming frustrated. There are have been
instances of farmers suicide. Farmers are feeling insecure and
the state government has failed to control the situation.
After reading the motion, Mishra went on to demand an
adjournment, but the Speaker said the points raised in the
motion did not call for an adjournment as those points have
been discussed on earlier occasions.
Besides, the Opposition can discuss the points through
mentions, calling attentions and questions, the Speaker said.
Left Front members then rushed to the well and walked
around the reporters` table shouting slogans. Some Trinamool
Congress members replied with catcalls.
The Speaker continued with the business of the House,
but nothing could be heard in the din.
After shouting slogans for about half an hour, the Front
members walked out of the House for the day as Parliamentary
Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee was moving the West Bengal
Salaries and Allowances (Amendment) Bill, 2011, seeking to
raise the allowances of ministers.
Later, Mishra told newsmen that the Speaker had
refused to admit the adjournment motions of the opposition for
three consecutive sessions since the Mamata Banerjee-led
government came to power.
He said that the points raised in the adjournment
motion today had not been discussed before in the Assembly
under the new government.
``Sadly, I cannot make this government understand the
difference between a mention and an adjournment motion. Or it
may be that they are refusing to understand the difference
with a purpose,`` Mishra observed.
While fertilisers were selling at much higher rates
than the printed retail price, the government was not
increasing the procurement price of crops, he said.
Pointing out that the credit-deposit ratio in the
state was among the lowest, he said banks seldom advanced the
required loans to farmers.
``It is for the government to look at all this. But
they get annoyed when we gather the information on the ground
realities and pass it on to them for redressal,`` he said.
Asked whether the Speaker was playing a partisan
role, he said, ``I do not want to comment on the role of the
Speaker. But you will see, everytime he has to say something,
he looks towards his right at the Treasury Bench.``
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'