Noisy scenes in West Bengal House
Kolkata: The West Bengal Assembly on Friday
witnessed noisy scenes when Speaker Biman Bandopadhyay refused
a point of order raised by Leader of Opposition Surya Kanta
Mishra related to the hooch tragedy.
The Speaker was about to begin Question Hour when Mishra
raised the point of order saying the Chief Minister had said
in the House that an all-party meeting would be held to find a
way in tackling the illicit liquor problem in the wake of the
hooch tragedy at Sangrampur.
But he said, Industry Minister Partha Chatterjee had told
media channels inside his office on Thursday that CPI(M) leaders
acted in a planned way by mixing toxic substances in the
Stating Chatterjee`s statement went against the spirit of
an all-party meeting, Mishra said he should admit before the
House that what he said was wrong.
Mishra also wanted to know why the television cameras
were allowed inside Chatterjee`s chamber when the Speaker had
banned the entry of camera inside the Assembly precincts
except on some occasions.
When Bandopadhyay refused to admit the point of order,
the Left members rushed to the well shouting slogans like
`Inquilab Jindabad.` For sometime, nothing would be heard in
The protesting members, however, returned to their seats
when the Speaker began the Question Hour.
After the Question Hour, Bandopadhyay ruled that the
point of order was not admitted because it did not mention
anything that violated the rules of the House.
He said he would look into the issue of the entry of
television cameras in Chatterjee`s chamber located in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning