‘Not contesting polls shows Mamata`s weakness’
New Delhi: The decision of Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee not to contest the West Bengal
assembly polls reflects her "weakness", a top CPI(M) leader
said on Saturday.
"If the Trinamool leader says she cannot contest from
a constituency, then she is reflecting her weakness,"
Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said here.
He was asked to comment on Banerjee declaring that she
would not contest the upcoming assembly polls because she
cannot be identified with a single constituency in West Bengal
and she has to keep the interest of the entire state in mind.
"The role of a leader should be to contest on his own,
win his own seat and lead the party to victory in the entire
state," Yechury told reporters on the sidelines of the CPI(M)
Central Committee meeting.
He said the state units of West Bengal and Kerala
would meet next week to take a final call on the candidates as
well as the party`s election manifesto.
"In both these states, there are Fronts (Left Front in
West Bengal and LDF in Kerala). The state leaders will have to
speak to the other partners of these Fronts before the list is
finalised," Yechury said, adding that seat adjustments would
also be finalised with other parties which were part of these
His senior colleague from West Bengal, Biman Bose,
said the state party would shortly announce the manifesto in
About his statement that several new faces would
figure in the candidates` list of the Left Front and some old
ones would be dropped, he said, "If new faces come in, it is
natural that some old faces have to go".
Politburo member and West Bengal Minister Nirupam Sen
said the issues of price rise and corruption and "the UPA
government`s policies responsible for these growing attacks on
people`s livelihood" would figure in the CPI(M)`s poll
The issues facing agriculture sector, employment
generation and industrialisation in state, which had seen the
Tatas moving out its Nano project to Gujarat due to Trinamool
-led protests, would also find a prominent place in the
manifesto, he said.
Asked about the poll prospects of the Left Front, Sen
said, "Though it is a big challenge, the situation that is
emerging now is favourable to us".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`