Nothing abnormal about Bengal crib deaths: TNC MP
Kolkata: A day after the number of crib deaths in government hospitals in West Bengal shot up to 28, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare and Trinamool Congress MP Sudip Bandopadhyay on Saturday said such deaths were normal and he had sought a report on the issue from his ministry.
"Such child deaths in large numbers is quite normal. I don`t know why so much uproar is created on child deaths in the state," said Bandopadhyay.
"I have asked the health ministry about the status of child deaths in other states. They have said that in other states it is much more than Bengal. I have asked the ministry to prepare a report about it. We will surely look into the matter regarding development of better infrastructure in state-run hospitals," said Bandopadhyay.
Since Wednesday, 12 babies in Burdwan Medical College and Hospital in Burdwan district and 16 babies in the city`s premier B.C. Roy Children`s Hospital have died.
The latest deaths come after 18 babies died in June in the B.C. Roy Children`s Hospital.
Banerjee had ordered a probe then, after which the doctors were given a clean chit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks