Officer removed on Mamata`s order, traders protest
Suri (WB): The officer-in-charge of the Dubrajpur police station in Birbhum district was Wednesday removed on the orders of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, but members of a traders` body went on dharna in protest.
The chief minister at a rally at Loba village yesterday had ordered the superintendent of police to remove the OC Arnab Guha after a Trinamool Congress leader informed her he was still functioning though he had been removed immediately after the police action on farmers there on November 6.
Speaking about the attempt by the police to take possession of an earthmoving equipment of DVC Emta Coal Mines which led to the clash and subsequent police action, Banerjee had said that the incident was unfortunate and the police should not have done so.
Meanwhile, members of the Dubrajpur Traders Association and a group of local people sat on dharna on the national highway before the Dubrajpur police station to protest the removal of the OC.
A BJP councillor of Dubrajpur municipality Satyaprakash Tewari and vice-president of Dubrajpur Traders Association said, "Guha maintained law and order very efficiently. Businessmen in Dubrajpur are under the threat from criminals. So we need a dynamic officer like Guha."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!