Officer suspended in `conspiracy` to set afire Writers Building
Kolkata: An employee of the West Bengal secretariat, who had given a clean chit to a pest control agency employee arrested on suspicion of hatching a conspiracy to burn the Writers` Buildings, was today suspended on the charge of wrong handling of the exercise.
State Home Department sources said the Registrar of Publications, Home Department, Bismay Roy, who had defended pest control agency employee Jyotirmoy Nandi, has been suspended and a departmental proceeding was on.
Roy`s clean chit to the man had deeply embarrassed the state government and state Home Secretary Basudeb Banerjee had asked for a departmental enquiry report on the incident.
"The arrested person has no malice or bad intention. He has been carrying out a routine pest control exercise for which he has been contracted by the Home Department. I even told the police this as they were interrogating him," Roy had said in the man`s defence earlier this month.
Roy was summoned by Basudeb Banerjee early this month at the relocated state secretariat `Nabanna`.
He had said, "I know him since long. Copy of the contract agreement regarding appointment of Nandi for pest control in the Writers` Buildings is with me. That day he did not have a gate pass to enter the Writers` Buildings and that is why an employee of my department accompanied him. He can`t do anything wrong. Kerosene is used for pest control and there is nothing new in it."
The Kolkata police arrested Nandi, an employee of a pest control agency on November 30 in connection with the alleged conspiracy.
An alarm was raised by a police constable on November 29 after finding files and books doused with kerosene lying in the Home Department`s publication office on the G-block of the building`s top floor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP